Common Facilities Terms/Phrases/Concepts
Please see frequently used terms and concepts related to facilities on campus below:
Auxiliary Services in F&A
There are seven retail and service departments within Auxiliary Services which include:
a. Programs managed by a UGA unit that are funded directly by the Georgia legislature
b. The current “B” units are:
c. FY 2016 MRR Funding for B units = $2,644,500
d. FY 2017 MRR Funding for B units = $2,891,375
a. A systematic management process to plan and budget for known recurring repair and replacement requirements that extend the life and retain the usable condition of facilities and systems
b. Ensures that facilities will function at levels appropriate to the academic priorities and missions of an institution
c. Major renovations that update building systems, infrastructures, codes, and modernize the functionality of the space
d. These repairs are typically capitalized and included in depreciation schedules according to Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
a. Maintenance issues that are not currently being addressed. In general, as building components near the end of their anticipated useful life some repairs may be delayed according to priority, budget and time constraints
b. Most maintenance, repair, and building renewal projects are funded as deferred maintenance. These projects include roofing repair or replacement, correction of structural defects, repair or replacement of installed utility and distribution systems, and other high-cost projects, which cannot be funded by the operating budget.
c. The items in the backlog are tracked from year to year until they are funded, either as stand-alone projects or in combination with other construction work.
Major Repair and Rehabilitation Explanation
a. State Appropriated funds requested annually by UGA that address deferred maintenance, only; top priority given to projects that address the health and safety of building occupants, reduce risk of interruption of critical infrastructure services, and preserve basic building integrity and functionality.
b. MRR funds cannot:
c. Funding works in conjunction with maintenance and operations (M&O) funding and capital funding for large or comprehensive renovation projects
d. MRR funds may not be used for auxiliary facilities, for non-state owned facilities, leased facilities, construction of new space nor land acquisition
e. FY 2012 – 2017 MRR Allocations
Operations & Maintenance Funding Formula
a. Formula based on Residential Instruction (RI) square feet
b. The state only funds 75%, the other 25% must be made up from tuition and other sources
c. We receive the funds for the entire campus and not designated for a particular building
d. For more information, please visit the FMD Operations & Maintenance site
Residential Instruction (RI)
a. Facilities that are primarily for academic and research use or support of those functions
b. The ongoing activities are directly funded through the University’s budget
c. All spaces that are not classified as auxiliary or B-unit
d. Examples of RI space:
e. Examples that are not RI space:
f. FY 2016 MRR Funding for RI = $13,140,000
g. FY 2017 MRR Funding for RI = $12,592,500
h. Resident Instruction = 11,136,454 gross square feet
a. The day-to-day efforts to control deterioration of facilities (up-keep expenses) through scheduled repetitive activities (e.g. cleaning), periodic scheduled work (e.g., inspections and equipment adjustments) and minor repairs made on an as-needed basis.
Zone Maintenance Shop
a. The Facilities Management Division (FMD), Operations and Maintenance (O&M) Department has completed the transition to a zone maintenance structure that places multi-craft shops at key locations on the campus dedicated to the maintenance needs of the buildings and customers within those zones.
b. The zone teams have approximately 15 total craftsmen and are responsible for approximately 40 facilities. The teams will provide first response for all work orders, minor work orders, preventative maintenance, and work order coordination for our customers. We will continue to have specialty central shops for projects and major mechanical, electrical and plumbing infrastructure repair.
c. The O&M Work Control Center will continue to be the first point of contact for our customers to generate a work request.
d. Customers should call the work control center for emergencies or other work required and can utilize the work request site for non-emergency situations. Contact information is below for work requests:
e. Map of Zone Maintenance Shops